Thursday, March 20, 2008

thoughts on a weakness in my left hand

For the past five days, there has been a crunching vice-like cramp in my left hand, below my index finger, near the thumb.

I've done nothing extraordinary in the past week. I do nothing extraordinary with my left hand. I don't write with it. I type with it, but only incidentally. I don't even brush my teeth with my left hand, though it is passingly involved in flossing.

My left hand holds the glass I pour into, supports my camera, gestures vaguely in the air while I think.

But of course it worries me when it seems to fail. I'm sure it will be fine. The incidents are fewer, less intense and no barrier to doing work. And I'm glad to feel the function restored. It's nothing bigger than that.

On second thought, I'm selling my left hand a bit short. It has always been an outstanding model.